Tuesday

The fastest east west mail service before the telegraph

original Pony Express advertisement
The Pony Express service sent messages by horseback riders, in relays, to stations across the prairies, plains, deserts, and mountains of the Western United States reducing the time for messages to travel between the Atlantic and Pacific to about ten days.
It was started by William H. Russell, Alexander Majors, and William B. Waddell in 1860. It was a huge undertaking of enormous with 120 riders and 184 stations and 400 horses.
Pony Express Map drawn by William Henry Jackson,  image from Gwillhickers

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Clay,

I was born and raised in St. Joseph, Missouri, well until I was 17, and I lived 3 blocks from the Pony Express Stables where they began their journey. Have you ever visited there? I think you would get a lot of enjoyment from visiting.

Another interesting fact about St. Joseph is that Jesse James lived there and his house is at the Patee House Museum.

Anyway, Thank You for posting this so I could look back on my childhood and remember my days of going to the stables as well as the museum frequently.

~Make It An Amazing Day ... Every Day!~

God Bless,
Coach Marla

Lee Good said...

Howdy Marla, Thanks so much for your comments - made my day to think that Cowboy Chronicles touched you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...