John C. H. Grabill took the photo in Sturgis, South Dakota in 1888. The very next year they named it Meade County, South Dakota. Reckon it was called that after Fort Meade named for General George Meade. Meade County would be about the largest county in South Dakota. It is also known for the pine forested Black Hills that look so dark from a distance due to all the trees.